Why are there so many things you can’t do as a Christian?
…totally boring no-can-do religion…?
Whoa, it is just a total chore being a Christian. You have to believe in a God you can’t see – and at the same time, you have to obey a bunch of tedious and boring rules that just serve to shut you off from fellowship all over the world – and you just can’t have any fun…! It really shouldn’t be called Christianity, but prohibition… or… something?
Well…. If you live in Denmark like I do, there are also lots of rules to follow. I can’t just not pay my taxes, I can’t drive too fast, I can’t go around killing people, I can’t make counterfeit documents, I can’t beat my children… etc. Why…? To protect the individual citizen – and because the individual actions have consequences for myself or others.
– Not paying taxes = no money in the treasury: No welfare, no roads or hospitals, etc.
– Speeding = accidents – in the worst case deadly accidents.
– Killing someone = destroying a family – and you will have to live with the guilt.
– Counterfeiting = guilty conscience – and destroys the person you signed for.
– Beating your children = destroying the children for life, e.g. through fear.
At the time of this writing, Denmark has a total of 1512 major laws and regulations, and then there is all the change legislation – and all of it is there to protect us.
Yes, it’s pretty difficult to be a Christian, because you get a new friend in Jesus… and getting new friends is not always the easiest thing, and how exactly do you get to know this “invisible” new friend anyway? You do that by BOTHERING to spend time with your new friend… and the funny thing is that the more time you BOTHER to spend with Jesus, the more “connected” you get. Just like with an earthly friend.
If you don’t bother spending time with Jesus, you will soon discover that some of the rules God has put in place seem stupid and ridiculous…. But if you do spend time on and with Jesus, God’s spirit will change a lot of things inside you, so you suddenly lose the desire to do the things that are wrong in the eyes of God. Then they are no longer things you miss doing, you simple don’t feel like it – and if you do it anyway, it just seems wrong.
After living close to God for some time and suddenly “fall off” or “fall into sin”, you will also experience that it feels SO wrong the first times you do so. This is because the Holy Spirit is guiding and correcting you. The only problem is that when you choose not to be guided, you become desensitized to the feeling of “wrong”, and you can just keep sinning away…
But why DID God actually set up these laws and rules…? He did so for one reason – He wants to take care of us. Here are a few examples:
– You can’t get drunk: Often, when people are drunk, they do a lot of stupid junk they regret the next day – a lot of what they do is sexual in nature (or at least crushing on people), but lots of things are just stupid too. See e.g. how many marriages falter because of infidelity during office Christmas parties, all because of people getting drunk – or people losing their jobs because of “crossing the line”. And the great thing is that you can actually have AT LEAST as much fun WITHOUT alcohol as with it… but peer pressure and “socializing” re attractions…! And for a lot of people, shallow “friendships” with alcohol become more important than true and deep friendships without alcohol.
– You can’t be homosexual: There are several parts to this – but first of all, it is to protect people against HIV. In addition, it is in order to preserve the natural genders and for children to grow up with both a mother and a father. It can cause severe social difficulties for a child who does not have both a mother and a father.
– You can’t lie: It’s just dumb – nobody will trust you, and you end up getting burned because you can’t keep track of your own lies, and people lose all trust in you. There is a reason why Jesus says that THE TRUTH will set us free. Lies can also ruin friendships and other relationships – and it will simply enslave you – including with a guilty conscience.
– You can’t steal: If you take other people’s things, you will simply discover that nobody trusts you – and you ruin far too much for other people. At the same time, the guilt is draining…
– You can’t be unfaithful: When you get married, you become “one flesh”. If you have a fling with another partner, it results in nothing but hurt. God knows perfectly well that the grass isn’t greener just because of a little initial excitement, the grass is greener where you water it. God wants whole hearts, not broken hearts.
– Don’t fill your mind with thrillers, gory movies, occult games and movies, etc. That is simply opening a giant barn door for Satan… and it is and always will be to protect you that Jesus wants you to be full of peace – not with strife, fear, anger, and jealousy.
– Don’t allow yourself to be filled with porn: If you are married, it is actually the same as being unfaithful, because you are lusting for someone who is not your partner. In most cases, your partner would also be quite unhappy if he or she found out about it. Furthermore, you are prostituting yourself and developing an extremely unnatural relationship to sex – and many couples are actually destroyed by it. Finally, you contribute to supporting the entire porn industry, where a huge number of women are bought and sold against their will and get their life ruined.
When a young child tries to put his hand on a hot stovetop, any loving parent will try to prevent it. Time after time, you will remove the child’s hand and say “NO”. It wouldn’t be a stretch to think that the child may get a little cranky with his parents, because why is it their business? Only after things go wrong and the hand actually lands on the hot stovetop, the child will suddenly understand why mom and dad seemed so angry all those times. It was to protect their child. The only problem is that the older the child gets, the more it is up to the child itself, whether it wants to be protected. And once the hand has landed on the stovetop, it can cause some serious damage and later scarring.
This is how it is with God. It is up to you if you care to experience God – and therefore spend time with Him – and it is up to you if you want to be protected by His rules.
– And then it is important to remember that if you pull away from God deliberately and refuse to follow Him, while still believing that God is real, that golden ticket to Heaven will not be there for you the day you die – or on the day of the rapture! Remember that even Satan believes in God… But Satan has made a deliberate choice to NOT obey God, and therefore he has been condemned to ETERNAL hell fire.
James 2:19 -20
You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
– And no, it definitely isn’t always easy to follow Jesus. Especially if you choose to base your life on being popular, receiving recognition from others, and on the general values “of the world”. On the other hand, it definitely is no picnic to live in a world where you will always depend on what others think about you, and where you have to carry all your worries alone.
You rarely become popular by talking to your non-Christian friends about Jesus. In fact, you will often feel talked down to, ridiculed, bullied, etc. – and then you discover that those you thought were your friends are actually quite shallow. On the other hand, you also discover that when you give Jesus your whole-hearted YES and WANT to spend time with Him, then it means NOTHING what others say, because a huge peace and gratitude to God builds inside you.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
So, stop…! Consider which qualities and values are important to YOU! And if you believe that God is out there – then consider for a minute what is most important – is it your short life on this earth? Or is it eternity when we die, offering us either Heaven or Hell. The choice is and will always be yours – ONLY yours…! And no, you will not be judged on this earth if you choose to turn your back on Jesus – but once you are dead and see what can happen, unfortunately it is too late. So, you might want to go ahead and consider that now – because you never know if you’ll be alive tomorrow!!
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.
You should also know that Jesus HAS called YOU. The question is whether you will listen – and if you will do something about it…?